Care for FLAS Enrolled Students of Emergency Workers
With the Governor’s announcement that schools are to remain closed, and distance learning set to begin next week, the childcare for families of emergency workers registration has been extended and will be available through May 4, 2020.
Forest Lake Area Schools will be providing childcare for parents who have children currently enrolled in the Forest Lake Area Schools who work and serve in the healthcare and/or emergency fields as listed here. Care will be provided for children ages 3-12 years old and students that are aged 13-21 WITH personal care needs or adolescent vulnerabilities due to their disability.
On days school would have been in session and during regular elementary school hours (9am to 4pm), care will be free for families who qualify. Staff will be available to assist students with distance learning starting April 1, 2020.
Should families who qualify need childcare before and/or after the regular school hours of 9am to 4pm, and/or on days that school would otherwise not have been in session (ie: spring break, staff development, etc.), childcare will be available for the following fees:
- 6am to 9am AND 4pm to 6pm = $19 per day
- 6am to 9am OR 4pm to 6pm = $13 per session
- 6am to 6pm (full day) on days school would not have been in session = $39 per day. (send breakfast, lunch, a snack and a water bottle with your child)
Locations for this childcare service will be at Forest View Elementary or Wyoming Elementary.
FLAS Food Service will be providing students breakfast and lunch during this extended childcare on days school would have otherwise been in session.
In order to qualify for and utilize this childcare service:
- Children must currently be enrolled in the Forest Lake Area School District.
- Parent(s)/Legal Guardian(s) will be required to either provide a letter from their employer or show an employment badge indicating that they are working within at least one of the occupations listed here, a photo identification, AND a current work schedule confirming work days and hours during the days and times care is needed.
For students and families who meet the requirements above, and are in need of school-based childcare, registration is required. We ask that you either register below or call 651-982-8110. Outside of the office hours of 7:30pm - 4pm, please leave a voicemail and one of our staff members will return your call as soon as possible.
For students and families who are already enrolled in this childcare for families of emergency workers program, further steps for registration are required using the link above.
For students and families who do not meet the requirements above, regular SAC and Sonic will continue to be closed as long as schools are closed. We ask that these families begin making alternative arrangements as needed. The Forest Lake YMCA is currently offering childcare for families who qualify under the Tier II provisions as outlined by MDE.
Additional information will be available on an ongoing basis.
This is the district's current plan, but please be aware that the COVID-19 situation changes rapidly and these dates may be subject to change.